This guide will provide an overview of the latest blogging statistics and facts as of 2023, with additional insights into the current state of the blogging industry.
You see, blogging is becoming an increasingly popular form of content consumption, revenue, and influence. It continues to grow and evolve, allowing more people to connect meaningfully with their target audience.
So, if you’re planning to launch a new blog, update an existing one, or simply seek insight into the blogging industry in 2023, this guide is for you!
If you have any of the following questions in your mind, spending time with this guide will prove to be beneficial:
- What is the average blog post length?
- How much time do people spend reading blogs?
- Are there any differences in terms of content preferences between different countries?
- What is the frequency of blog posts?
- What are the most popular blogging platforms in 2023?
We’ve researched statistics on blog readership, post length, content preferences, and other topics to answer these questions and more.
We’ve compiled the most important blogging statistics into 50+ facts and insights to help you better understand the industry and how it is changing.
This guide will provide you with the data and insights you need to understand the current state of blogging in 2023 and what strategies you need to implement to succeed.
By understanding the trends, user engagement stats, and monetization strategies of blogs in 2023, you can create a successful blog that will stand out and attract the attention of your target audience.
So let’s get started and dive into the ultimate list of blogging statistics in 2023.
We’ll start by looking at the top blogging statistics for 2023.
Top Blogging Statistics for 2023
Apart from all the statistics we will be looking into, these are the top blogging statistics for 2023 that you should be aware of:
- Content marketing has become an incredibly effective way of generating leads, with 76% of marketers relying on it (Parse.ly).
- Vendor websites (Vendor sites that deliver a variety of products and services like blogs and other content) are seen as the most influential content source by 65% of B2B buyers, followed closely by third-party websites (48%), and then third-party articles from independent publishers (39%) (MarketingCharts).
- Bloggers report that using 7+ images per post have a 2.3x greater chance of achieving successful outcomes! (Orbit Media).
- A good number (80%) of bloggers have reported that blogging brings about great results, meaning blogs generate revenue (Orbit Media).
- Orbit Media also found in their annual bloggers report that 2000-word articles received great results. While 3000-word articles performed the best.
- First Site Guide found that 22% of bloggers write posts 2-3 times every week.
- According to the Chicago Tribune, 59% of hyperlinks shared on social media platforms have never been opened and read.
- New research reveals that those who publish high quality content two to six times each week have an impressive 50% greater chance of reaching their targeted results. (Orbit Media).
- Content marketing has only become more important to businesses in the last year, with 71% of marketers stating its significance (Content Marketing Institute).
- As of today, an impressive 600 million blogs exist out of the 1.9 billion websites globally (Web Tribunal).
- An overwhelming (Social Media Today) 77% of internet users read blogs. Furthermore, Statista reports that almost a quarter (26%) of people aged 5-18 in the United Kingdom are avid blog readers. Clearly, blogging has become a popular trend across all demographics! (Statista)
- According to Statista, there are nearly 32 million bloggers in the US alone.
- InternetLiveStats reported that 7 million blog posts are published on a daily basis.
- A recent study by Ahrefs revealed that there is a striking pattern when it comes to word count and backlinks: blog posts with up to 1,000 words often have an excellent correlation with one another. Contrarily, content exceeding this length tends to need more inbound links.
- WordPress is the most popular blogging platform with over 43% of the market share. (W3Techs)
These blogging statistics should provide insight into the current state of blogging in 2023 and what strategies should be implemented for success.
Key takeaways from the above stats:
- Vendor sites are the most influential content source for B2B buyers.
- Visual-rich blogs can achieve even better results.
- Blogging has become a great way to generate revenue.
- 59% of social media links are never opened.
- Content published two to six times per week has a 50% greater chance of achieving its desired objectives.
- 71% of marketers say content marketing is important.
- There are 600 million blogs in the world today.
- 77% of internet users read blogs.
- Blog posts with up to 1,000 words often correlate with one another.
Overall Reach and Growth of Blogs in 2023
Before reading the stats that discuss blogs’ overall reach and growth in 2023, it is important to understand why we are discussing them. This information provides insight into how far the blogging space has come in the past year and how it will likely progress by the end of 2023. You see, new bloggers and new businesses will keep entering the space, thus increasing the overall reach and growth of blogs in 2023.
That’s why it is important to know why, how, and when growing and understand what strategies can be implemented to ensure success.
The blogging industry as a whole is continually growing. If you want to stay ahead of the competition, analyzing relevant blogging statistics and seeing what strategies are working for others is important. Once you know what works, you can apply it to your own blog and see if it resonates with your target audience.
Most of these stats are taken from the data of Ahrefs and Hubspot.
Now, let’s look at some of the key blogging statistics in 2023:
- The blogging space has sky-rocketed to new heights, with 1.9 billion websites and more than 600 million blogs on platforms such as Tumblr, Wix, and LinkedIn.
- The number of bloggers in the United States has skyrocketed over the past 10 years, with an incredible 10 million additional bloggers added between 2014 and 2020 and still continuing at an ever-increasing rate. Blogging talent is on the rise!
- Every month, around 409 million people view over 20 billion pages—a staggering figure!
- Users generate 70 million new blog posts and 77 million unique comments every month.
- Content marketing was expected to become an incredible $412.88 billion industry by 2021 – a staggering number, but it has even crossed that in 2023.
- Recent information reveals that more than 99,000 searches are done on Google each second, adding up to more than 8.5 billion clicks per day (Internet Live Stats, 2023). This shows that content marketing is more important than ever and has a major impact on how companies build their brands.
- Around six out of ten bloggers are frequent contributors to other blogs. Guest blogging is becoming a staple of content marketing, helping drive more traffic and create better relationships with other influencers. (Source: Webinfotech.co)
- Blogging is the #1 inbound marketing strategy for over half of today’s marketers. SEO tops the list as their priority (61%), while blogging tops at 55%. Yet, both are intertwined with each other and can lead to successful outcomes when used together. (Source: Hubspot.com)
- If your business consistently publishes the perfect blog post, you can expect to gain 97% more inbound links! It helps to build an audience, get shares, and other sites that use them as a valuable sources for their content. It increases the opportunity to get links from other domains. (Source: Hubspot.com)
Key takeaways from these stats:
- The blogging space in 2023 is booming.
- There are over 700 million blogs and 1.9 billion websites on the internet.
- 409 million+ people view over 20 billion pages each month.
- Content marketing is a multi-billion-dollar industry.
- SEO and blogging are the top two inbound strategies for marketers.
- Guest blogging is an important part of content marketing.
- Consistent blogging leads to 97% more inbound links.
These facts and statistics paint a positive picture for blogging in 2023.
Blogging Revenue Statistics
The most interesting blogging statistics list is around revenue. You see, earning money through blogging is a goal of many bloggers.
Knowing the facts and figures on how much people are making through blogging can give us an insight into the industry’s current state. Revenue statistics also highlight potential areas of growth and opportunity.
Most of the stats are taken from Rank IQ and Growth Badger research.
Now let’s take a look at the blogging statistics that will surely draw your attention:
- According to research, food blogs have the highest percentage of blogs, with over 50,000 monthly sessions at 42.8%, followed by lifestyle (13.3%) and travel (10%) (RankIQ).
- Being a food blogger is the most profitable niche, as they reportedly have an impressive median monthly income of $9,169, more than any other major niche, according to RankIQ.
- According to GrowthBadger, an overwhelming 45% of bloggers who rake in over $50K annually offer their products and services, versus just 8% among those with lower incomes.
- Shockingly, one-third of bloggers are not making money whatsoever (TechJury).
- Google AdSense is the most popular option for bloggers seeking to monetize their content. But, for those interested in higher income streams, affiliate marketing and selling custom products or services are more profitable than relying solely on AdSense — with GrowthBadger reporting that high-income bloggers are 2.5 times more likely to opt for this approach!
- Most bloggers generate most of their profit from paid ads, sponsored product reviews, affiliate products, and selling their own merchandise and digital courses (RankIQ).
- Food blogs will never lose their popularity, making them the most profitable niche.
- $50k plus annual income-earning bloggers rely heavily on their own products and services.
- One-third of bloggers do not make any money from blogging.
- Google AdSense is the most popular option for bloggers seeking to monetize their content.
- Affiliate marketing and selling custom products or services are more profitable than relying solely on AdSense.
Blogging SEO Statistics
Here comes the most important part of blogging in 2023, SEO! SEO is essential for bloggers who want to ensure their content reaches more people. People who want to ensure their blogs rank high in search engines turn to SEO.
To help you get a better understanding of how important SEO is for blogging, we’ve compiled the following blogging statistics for SEO from top sources such as Statista, Moz, and SEMrush:
We will explain each stat with a couple of sentences to further elaborate on the data:
- Over two-thirds of our digital experiences are powered by search engines, according to BrightEdge. This means that if people don’t find your blog through search engines, they won’t be able to see it. That’s why SEO is an important part of blogging.
- Recent research conducted by Orbit Media reveals that an impressive 73% of bloggers are actively revising and refreshing their previously published content. This helps them ensure their content is up-to-date and relevant, which helps them rank better in search engine results.
- For bloggers that make more than $50,000 annually, SEO is a major emphasis. Generally speaking, their most prominent source of traffic originates from Google organic search; furthermore, compared to lower-income bloggers, they are 4.3 times as likely to research keywords (GrowthBadger).
- Unbelievably, almost 20% of bloggers need to research keywords. These statistics also demonstrate that only 50% of these same bloggers take part in the practice each month, and yet an impressive 71% think it is critical for successful blogging (Orbit Media).
- Generally, the more backlinks a page acquires, the more organic traffic it receives, thanks to Google (Ahrefs).
- According to Ahrefs, the average age of content ranking in the top 10 search results is two years or older. This shows that long-term SEO strategies are essential for successful blogging.
- Only a scant 5.7% of web pages will appear in the top 10 search results after just one year of publishing them online! It states that bloggers need to invest in long-term SEO strategies for their content to rank in the top 10 (Ahrefs).
- Only a paltry 9.37% of pages receive organic traffic from Google – making it clear that you should use SEO best practices on your website to stand out among the competition (Ahrefs).
- According to Ahrefs, the typical top-ranking page will also rank in the top 10 search engine results for nearly 1,000 related keywords. So, if you want to be successful, you must consider long-term keywords when creating content for your blog.
- SEO is an essential part of blogging in 2023.
- Updating previously written content is important for successful SEO.
- Ranking for the main keyword helps you rank for 1,000 related keywords.
- Backlinks are important for organic traffic.
- It’s not enough to publish content once – long-term SEO strategies are essential for ranking in the top 10 search engine results.
- Organic search traffic is limited to just 9.37% of all pages.
- Performing keyword research and investing in SEO best practices are critical for success in blogging.
Blog Reading and Writing Stats
Content is king, but the audience is the heart of any blog. You see, it’s not enough to just create great content. You also need to get people to read it. Intelligently plan your content according to when and how long readers typically engage with your blog posts. Schedule them for the times of day you know will draw in more eyes, and adjust the lengths, so they perfectly fit within their allotted attention spans. When you understand your audience’s reading habits well, you can drive your blog to success!
That said, let’s look at some of the most current blogging statistics about reading habits:
- Research shows the most popular window for reading blogs is between 7 and 10 am. Hubspot analyzed 170,000 blog posts and found that the highest average CTR was achieved between 7 am and 10 am. (Source: Hubspot.com)
- If you’re looking for the optimal length of a blog post, look no further than 7 minutes of reading time. After conducting extensive research into the performance and reach of blog posts at different lengths, Medium concluded that 1,600-word or 7-minute-long ones achieved maximum success! (Medium).
- If your blog posts are under 1000 words, 75% of the audience will read your articles till the end (Contently).
- According to Orbit Media, it requires an average of four hours and ten minutes to write a blog post. This includes the time spent researching, writing, editing, and adding visuals to your post.
- Writing a great blog post for more than 6 hours can be incredibly rewarding, with 38% of bloggers reporting great results. This number is an enormous improvement compared to the average success rate among bloggers, which stands at only 30%. (Source: Orbitmedia.com)
- Did you know that blog titles containing at least 8 words can boost click-through rates by a whopping 21%? It’s true! Crafting the perfect title for your post is key to drawing readers in. By strategically combining enticing keywords and content, you can significantly increase engagement and drive more traffic to your blog. (Source: Seotribunal.com)
- Blog headlines with colons or hyphens have proven to be 9% more clickable! Not only do these sophisticated punctuation marks elevate the overall aesthetic of a blog post, but they also provide bloggers with an opportunity to include their specific keywords and intriguing phrases while still preserving the logical structure of the title. (Source: Socialmediaexaminer.com)
- Recent studies have demonstrated that the more headlines bloggers try out for their own blog posts, the higher chance of success it will reach. Although 58% of bloggers write 2-3 headlines before settling on one, only 1% attempt 11 to over 20 titles – which is proven to increase post-performance greatly. (Source: Orbitmedia.com)
- Nearly half of the bloggers take the time to edit their blog posts on their own, while the other 54% choose to collaborate with editors. Either way, it’s evident that a vital part of creating engaging content is ensuring it’s impeccable (Ahrefs).
- 50% of bloggers perform outreach for guest posts to 10 or fewer contacts a month, while 7% of them pitch to 100 or more blogs per month (Referral Rock).
- Target your blog posts at 7-10 am to get the most traffic.
- Seven minutes or 1,600 words is the optimal length for a blog post. But don’t let that discourage you to write longer blog posts.
- 75% of readers will finish an article when the blog post length is 1000 words or less.
- You need to spend an average of 4 hours and 10 minutes writing an average blog post.
- Knowing your audience’s reading habits is key to success in blogging.
- Eight-word titles are the most clickable.
- Headlines with colons and hyphens are 9% more clickable.
- Try out multiple headlines for the best performance.
- Editing and outreach are crucial for creating engaging content.
Blog Marketing Statistics
Every blog needs to have a successful marketing strategy to stand out from the competition. However, creating an effective blog marketing plan is a challenging feat. To help you, here are the top blog marketing stats for 2023 that you should know about:
- An alarmingly low 32% of bloggers take the time to review their blog traffic analytics (Statista) consistently. The key to success is to track your metrics and adjust accordingly.
- According to GrowthBadger, more prosperous bloggers making over $50K yearly are significantly more inclined to focus on acquiring email subscribers than those with lower incomes. Additionally, these high-earning bloggers deploy nearly 4 times as many email collection techniques!
- Bloggers collaborating with influencers see incredibly impressive results (Orbit Media).
- An impressive 70% of bloggers earning more than $50,000 annually are either active or very proactive in promoting and monetizing their blogs. The same cannot be said for lower-income bloggers – only 14% report an equivalent level of engagement (GrowthBadger).
- Reviewing blog traffic analytics is essential, but only 32% of bloggers do it.
- High-earning bloggers are more likely to focus on acquiring email subscribers and use various techniques to do so.
- Collaborating with influencers can result in impressive results.
- 70% of bloggers earning more than $50K actively promote and monetize their blogs.
- Adopting a successful blog marketing plan is key to standing out from the competition.
Guest Blogging Statistics
Guest posting is an incredibly effective way to spread your brand’s message and grow your audience. Marketers that engage in guest posting can experience a surge of new opportunities and organic growth.
Here are the top guest blogging statistics for 2023:
- According to Referral Rock, while most bloggers (87%) come up with their own ideas for guest blog posts, only half (52%) do the actual writing. Clearly, it doesn’t make a difference whether you tackle your post alone or with someone else’s assistance – what matters is making sure that your content looks perfect! (Referral Rock)
- According to Ahrefs, investing in a paid guest post typically averages $77.80 – an expenditure with proven value and potential for positive return. (Ahrefs).
- Referral Rock says 60% of bloggers compose one to five guest blog posts every month.
- Guest posting is an effective way to spread your brand’s message and grow your audience.
- Investing in a paid guest post usually averages $77.80 – an expenditure with proven value and potential for positive return.
- 60% of bloggers compose one to five guest blog posts every month.
- Creating content that looks and reads perfectly is essential for successful guest posting.
Blogging Business Stats
Businesses that leverage blogs for marketing can experience an incredible surge of new opportunities and growth. No matter what industry you’re in, blogging can unlock many advantages.
Here are the top business blogging statistics for 2023:
- A whopping 61% of US online shoppers confess they have made purchases after reading a blog post recommendation. Nothing beats the power of blog marketing when it comes to gaining trust! (Source: Contentmarketinginstitute.com)
- Blogging continues to be an incredibly effective form of marketing, even in today’s landscape, with so many other options available. A staggering 80% of bloggers have reported positive business results from their blogging efforts – a testament to the power and potential content creation can bring! (Source: Growthbadger.com)
- Companies that blog regularly experience a 126% boost in their lead generation. Moreover, small businesses that allocate resources specifically to blogging have seen even higher levels of success, with an impressive 126% growth rate for leads! (Source: Yourblogworks.com)
- Did you know that nearly half of the customers read 3-5 blog posts before making a purchase? This clearly shows the influence blogs have on customer buying decisions. (Source: Demandgenreport.com)
- Businesses that leverage blogs for their marketing can reap numerous benefits.
- 61% of US online shoppers have made purchases after reading a blog.
- Businesses say they always see positive results from their blogging efforts.
- Companies that blog regularly experience a 126% boost in lead generation.
Blogging Visual Content Statistics
Visual content is an integral aspect of the modern blog. Whether it’s a simple infographic or detailed images, visual content can make all the difference when it comes to engagement and driving conversions. You can use visuals to illustrate your points or just break up long blocks of text.
Here are the top blogging statistics for visual content in 2023:
- On average, nearly half of all blogs contain 2-3 images.
- An impressive 42% of bloggers who have seen a significant improvement in their blog content performance have incorporated more than 10 visuals into each post.
- Blogs containing video content attract 83% more internet users than those without. This indicates that including multimedia in your blog content effectively expands the reach and engagement of any website or blog.
- Posts on blogs that contain more than three videos get a whopping 55% increase in backlinks compared to blog posts with no video content!
- Believe it or not, the typical person devotes 100 minutes daily to viewing videos online.
- Video content can potentially increase organic traffic by a staggering 50 times! Omnicore’s findings from 2018 reveal that video material stands an impressive 50% higher chance of driving more website visitors than any other type of media. Moreover, 51% of web users are inclined towards viewing videos rather than consuming other forms of content. (Source: Hubspot.com)
- Visual content is an essential part of modern blogging.
- Both images and videos can help drive engagement and conversions.
- Blog posts with more than 10 visuals significantly improve blog content performance.
If you have WordPress sites, there are endless possibilities to spruce up your blog posts. Try creating an image gallery or inserting a background image into your blog and add more personality!
Blogging Trends for 2024
The landscape of blogging is constantly changing and evolving. To stay ahead of the curve, it’s important to keep an eye on the latest trends and stay up-to-date on the newest developments in the industry.
There are millions of blogs on the internet, meaning blogs will remain popular for years to come. All you need is to follow the trends, work on your marketing strategies and create engaging content that stands out.
Here are the top blogging trends for 2024:
You see, micro-influencers are the smaller influencers with fewer followers but higher engagement rates. This means that even though they might not have as much reach as some of the larger influencers, they are more likely to get their message across to an engaged audience.
Hubspot found working with micro-influencers can help you get a better return on investment (60%) and higher engagement rates. 56% of marketers say if they work with influencers, they choose micro-influencers because of their reach if they work with influencers. So, if you continue with the blogging trend for 2024, micro-influencers would be a great way to get your message out there.
User-generated content is a great way to engage with your readers and give them a platform to share their thoughts. You can use UGC in many ways, from encouraging readers to write reviews or share stories about their experience with your product to collecting images and videos that showcase your brand or product in a positive light.
User-generated content can also be used to increase blog engagement, boost SEO rankings, and drive more traffic. In fact, it has been found that UGC can increase website visits by up to 246%. A whopping 84% of shoppers trust the opinions and recommendations of their peers over any other type of advertisement.
Voice Search Optimization:
Voice search is becoming increasingly popular, and it is estimated that by 2024, more than 50% of all searches will be conducted with voice. Voice search optimization is the process of optimizing content to be found by voice search. Generally, this means creating content that is easy to understand and contains natural language & long-tail keywords. Moreover, you should ensure that your content is mobile-friendly and fast loading, as voice search is primarily conducted via smartphones.
More instances of affiliate marketing:
Affiliate marketing has been around for a long time, and it is estimated that by 2024, more than 80% of marketers will be involved in some form of affiliate marketing. As the number of blogs continues to grow, so will the opportunities for affiliates to monetize their blog content by partnering with brands. Affiliates can help promote products, drive sales, and generate leads for businesses in exchange for a commission on every sale.
Shift to data-driven blogging:
Data-driven content is the future of blogging. Instead of relying on intuition and guesswork to drive content strategy, data-driven blogging leverages data to inform decisions on what content to create and how best to promote it. This means using analytics, SEO tools, web traffic metrics, and other data sources to create blog content tailored to your audience’s needs and interests. This data-centric approach helps you optimize your blog for both engagement and conversions.
Sustainability and personalization:
Personalization is becoming increasingly important in the blogging industry. Sustainability and personalization go hand-in-hand, as consumers are becoming increasingly aware of their impact on the environment and are looking for products and services that align with their values. By offering personalized blog content to meet readers’ individual needs, you’ll be able to gain their trust and loyalty in the long run.
Blogging will continue to be an important part of business and personal communication in the coming years.
All the blogging statistics and facts outlined in this post show that it isn’t going away anytime soon and that it is only becoming more popular.
To stay ahead of the competition and capitalize on the trend, bloggers should focus on micro-influencers, user-generated content topical and keyword research, voice search optimization, affiliate marketing, data-driven content, and personalization.
Doing so will ensure you maximize your reach, engage more readers, and build lasting relationships.
Remember, blogging isn’t just a way to reach an audience, and it’s also an opportunity to express yourself and share your passion with others.
So don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with it!